My love affair started started when I was looking at one of my favorite websites Ana White and came across one of her readers creations. My mouth dropped and my palms began to sweat when I saw the Printer's cabinet and I knew that baby belonged in my house. But where? I live in a TINY apartment in Chicago where I am already maxed out of space. Oh...that cannot stop me when I see a project!
Shanty 2 Chic can give you plans on how to make one from scratch by the way!
They sell these at anthropologie for $1,698. Because I already had the Ikea piece, it cost us just under $100. $1,698 verses $100 + fun with power tools. You know which one I voted for! :)
Also, because Ikea furniture is not real wood, we decided to paint the piece instead of stain it, but hey...I like it better that way, so it worked out!
Original Anthropologie dresser:
I showed it to Joe and he said, what about changing our Ikea jankity TV stand into this piece. GENIUS! I knew this guy was smart when I married him and he just continues to amaze me! So, being the impulsive people we are, we decided to make it that night. Baby in bed - check. Hardware store around the corner still open - check. Handles on Amazon Prime - check. So here is the journey to one of our favorite pieces.
I forgot to take the before and they don't carry the exact piece at Ikea anymore, but this one is almost exactly like it. Plus, I don't know if you check Craigslist at all, but they have these ALL the time for like $20-$50... if they knew you could transform it into something great, they wouldn't sell it :)
This is it after I screwed the trim wood to it, but you get the jist.
Step 1: the doors would not lay flesh against the piece unless we added this trim around the front. So we added 2x1 trim around the outside. We did two layers of the trim to make it 2x2. We also added the piece down the front so that it could have 2 cabinet doors. We used 2 1/4 inch screws. Make sure you pre-drill so you can wood putty afterwards.
Step 2: Add the legs. We got these legs from Lowes at clearance because they are discontinuing them, so we got them for $2 a piece. I linked similar ones.
Step 3: Paint the whole dang piece! Those little cubbies were a pain in the you know what to paint! We used Annie Sloan Chateau Grey for this piece. Kind of a sage color.
Step 4: Make the doors. If you decide to use the same Ikea piece as me, just email me and I will give more specific directions on size, etc. Basically, we took 2x2's and we screwed on planks of wood, alternating 2x1's and 4x1's to give it the old small drawer look. You can see the impact on the finished piece really nicely with the alternating sizes. It is a bit tricky getting it exactly right with the door size though.
Step 5: We cut the top, added trim to it and stained it. We used Spanish Oak colored stain, which is a rich brown black grey. Then I waxed finished it with Johnson's Wax.
Step 6: Add the doors onto the piece. We used euro hinges from Home Depot. They can be tricky and a bit more expensive, but oh so worth it.
So here the piece laid in wait until the beloved handles arrived in 2 days. Gotta love Amazon Prime!
Step 7: We added the beautiful handles. They are super duper tricky to put on, so we got creative and painted over the little holes with paint and then pushed them against the piece and it left little marks where we needed to drill.
Step 8: We added drawer pulls to every large piece of wood on the fronts, which was 6 on each side. Then we used our handy dandy stud finder/leveler to make sure the handles were in line on both sides.
Step 9: Put your stuff back into the cubbies :)
Step 10: Step back and admire your work!
Featured on Betterafter.com here and on Ikeahackers.com!